jPAF is genealogy program intended to work like PAF 5.

PAF5 is available for download from Parowan Software

jPAF is written in javascript as a web app.  I may someday extend it to be a Progressive Web App.

Right now it doesn't save changes.  There is a lot of work yet to do.  This is just a "how far we've come" demo.

Click the folder icon on the tool bar to load up a PAF file.  (PAF 5 only - jPAF doesn't know how to deal with a PAF 4 file).

Once a file is loaded the family group page should populate with relevant data.  The arrowhead buttons should reload the page with the indicated generation.  Clicking on the data box for the husband, wife, grandfather or grandmother should present a pop-up box for editing data pertaining to that person.

The 'Save' button doesn't save anything yet.

The pedigree page should display appropriate info.

The Individuals list page doesn't do anything yet.

But you can try it HERE

The next thing to work on could be:
  • The pedigree drop down folds up too readily
  • save data from the EI popup.

After those are resolved there is

  • Notes, citations, sources
  • add events
  • add people (and linkages)
  • keep and update the delete lists
  • Individuals list tab/screen
  • Full menu
  • create a marriage edit popup.
  • populate marriage edit
  • save marriage edit
  • add marriage record
  • delete marriage record
  • create/edit/delete user defined events
  • create new PAF file with the expected user defined events and temple list.
  • reports
  • match/merge
  • import GEDCOM
  • export GEDCOM
  • share/compare data with
Sun Nov 28, 2021
This week I built the screen to display the Repositories file and select one and started on the screen to edit repositories

Earlier this week I:

built a menu bar

populated some fields in the citation window

Load the starting RIN from the file

passed event name between windows.

worked a little on the marriage edit window

Sat Nov 20, 2021
I don't remember all the changes since 11/12.  But the most recent has to do with getting the name of the individual or couple into the headings of the Notes and Sources popups.

Fri Nov 12, 2021
Worked on security today and on the marriage edit popup.

Wed Nov 10, 2021
Worked on the Select Source screen.  Now it comes up with several buttons disabled until the used clicks on a row selecting a source.  The 'Select', 'Edit', 'Copy' and 'Delete' buttons are the ones that are disabled when the box first comes up.

Tue Nov 9, 2021

In the Source Select screen the four divisions on the right side of the screen now get data from 'Title', 'Author', 'Publishing Info' (or 'call') and 'Comments'.  And I managed to get the border pretty much like it is in PAF5.  So, in other words the 'Select' button works (if you have previously clicked on one row in the displayed list of sources).

Sun Nov 7, 2021

Well I didn't work on either of the topics at the top of the Do List.  Instead I worked on the citation links on the pop-up you get when you double click on an individual.  I call that the 'edit individual' screen.  In the list of events below the individual's name you'll see 's' in the right column.  If you click on those you get screens related to citations and sources.  That's what I've been working on this week.  In particular the cases where the 's' shows as 's*' - meaning there is attached data.  There are several screens and sub-screens that come from that.  I've taken it quite far this week.  I've used my main PAF file as test data.  I have an entry in the list of events for my patriarchal blessing the the text of it in the "Actual Text" field.  All that works now except the 'Repository' field, the 'Edit' button and the 'Replace' button.  And the 'Image' button.  Oh, and the tabs at the top, and the title on the second line.  It looks like I yet have got a lot of work to do on just that one screen.  The '<' and '>' , New, Delete and Help buttons don't do anything yet.

Sun Oct 31, 2021
I still haven't got the Save button to store any data back to the file image in memory.  So changes can't be stored yet.  But I've formatted a number of pop-up windows that trigger off of buttons on the 'Edit Individual' screen.  So the Notes and Sources pop-ups pop-up and cancel.

Sun Oct 17, 2021
This week I've tried a different idea for the data type of the data drawn into memory from a .paf file.  I found that the alternate idea didn't work so well so I'm back to the original plan.  I've written code to store some info from the front part of the file - including owner name and address and deleted record chains. 

Haven't been able to test them very well.  I suppose I won't have a good way of testing until I have other code drafted to store various record types. 

My most recent work has been on dates.  Since there won't be any visible improvements I'm not updating the displayed app.

fixed a point of pedigree navigation

Fixed the freeze-up related to the 'Other Marriages' pull-down

Changed internal data storage from one large buffer holding the whole file to an array of data blocks conforming to the internal block structure of all PAF files.

Got file download to work.